- Can I buy you a pint and call it quits?
- My cat is sick
- Ive been in hospital for two weeks having my tonsils removed (they hadnt)
- Our CEO is still on a sailing holiday
- My dog ate your invoice
- Your invoice was unethical
- I refered your services to a friend, so I thought that would mean you wouldnt charge me
- You didnt chase me enough for payment
- To a professional photographer: The photograph you took was of me, so I don’t need to pay you
- I have no money left, but youll get paid if you work on my next project and move with me to Qatar
Tax & admin Fred Heritage · 1 June 2016
Top ten worst late payment excuses revealed
Late payments continue to stall the growth prospects of Britain’s micro businesses and freelancers, with the list of excuses from late and non-paying clients becoming longer and increasingly farcical. A recent survey conducted by accountants FreeAgent revealed the extent of the excuses many clients will make to get around not paying what they owe to smaller business owners, with poorly pets, feigned illness and a boss? holiday plans all popular choices. Some late payment excuses are more ridiculous than others. The top ten most outrageous excuses for late and non-payment found by the survey included:
ABOUT THE EXPERTFred Heritage
Fred Heritage was previously deputy editor at Business Advice. He has a BA in politics and international relations from the University of Kent and an MA in international conflict from Kings College London.