1. Don’tfeel sorry for yourselfI get it, it’s tough.But you do have a choice. Either throw up the sandbags and try to sit it out or get active. Im going for the latter.
2.Don’t write a business planLet’s face it, you never followed your old one, anyway. Business plans are rubbish. Dont bother writing one, just pick up the phone and start talking to customers.
3. Don’t take on debtThis is not a time to take on debt, unless you really have to. We dont know how long we are going to be in this mess and the problem with debts is that you have to repay them.
4. Don’ttry to do everything by yourselfBeing an entrepreneur can be lonely, but you are not alone. Delegate, ask for help, ask for ideas and ask for support. Dont stay stuck. I bet there’s someone you know who has some spare time right now!
5.Don’t let this thing winI refuse to let this issue hold back my business. Everything you’ve worked for, the dreams you have and the goals you set shouldnt be abandoned, they should be strengthened. Now, let’s get positive?
1. Do ask for helpEngage with other self-employed people and support each other by helping to figure out solutions to the challenges you’re facing. You might be surprised at how much others are prepared to give. People are stuck at home and want to feel useful.
2. Do motivate your teamTheyll be on a rollercoaster, worried and uncertain, and this is the ultimate test of your leadership. Be strong for them, work together and communicate openly and more regularly than you normally would.
3. Do focus on your customersTake care of your customers. What help do your customers need? What is the number one thing you could deliver right now to help people get through this period of uncertainty? Go out of your way to help your customers solve their problems.
4. Do innovateit’s time to think outside the box. Ask big questions and find new ways to work and solve problems. Do whatever you can online. There are masses of free tools out there.
5. Do stay true to who you areYou need to find ways to survive, but dont do anything that means you can’t look yourself in the mirror. This is a test of character, it will be hard, but be the best you can be.Also, take care of yourself eat well, look after yourself and dont spend too long watching the news.Care for your customers and suppliers, care for your staff and care for each other. The people around you need leadership and it’s the entrepreneurs that will make the difference in people’s lives in the coming months.
Sign up to our newsletter to get the latest from Business Advice.