Lending

UK breaks ground in asset-based finance

Fred Heritage | 5 February 2016 | 8 years ago

shutterstock_322960622
Asset-based finance n the UK is worth 189.7bn
Britain’s small businesses are leading the way in asset-based financing, with more firms using the method to fund business operations than those in Europe.

Europe-wide data published by the EU Federation for Factoring and Commercial Finance, showed that asset-based financing such as invoice financing or asset-based lending supported 15 per cent of UK businesses? turnover in 2015, compared with an average of ten per cent throughout Europe.

The data showed countries like France and Germany playing catch-up with the UK in terms of the proportion of the economy supported by asset-based finance. The asset-based finance market is worth 189.7bn in the UK, whereas the value is 117.7bn in France, and 100.5bn in Germany.

Chief executive of the Association Based Finance Association (ABFA), Jeff Longhurst, said that it was encouraging to see Europe follow the UK’s lead. Given how important EU markets are to UK businesses, what is most pleasing is that more businesses across Europe are realising the value of asset-based finance it’s up five per cent overall and it has cemented its position as a key alternative finance method for businesses of all sizes, Longhurst commented.

According to ABFA, around 80 per cent of asset-based financing is invoice finance, where firms secure funding against the value of unpaid invoices. The other 20 per cent represents asset-based lending, in which businesses can raise finance against secure assets like property, machinery and inventory.

invoice finance has played a pivotal role in keeping funding flowing to small businesses, added Longhurst. UK financial services firms have long been real innovators in developing invoice finance products, and UK firms have been keen to access this funding.

Read our expert guide to invoice financing to find out whether it could be the right option for your business.

Topic

Lending

Related Topics

What is Debt Financing?
14 August 2023

What is Debt Financing?

Read More →
How to Get a Business Loan
22 November 2022

How to Get a Business Loan

Read More →
What Are Bridging Loans?
16 November 2022

What Are Bridging Loans?

Read More →
What Is A Bridging Loan?
30 March 2022

What Is A Bridging Loan?

Read More →
Six reasons to use an independent broker for business borrowing
8 April 2021

Six reasons to use an independent broker for business borrowing

Read More →
Bounce Back Loans Scheme opens for smallest UK businesses
4 May 2020

Bounce Back Loans Scheme opens for smallest UK businesses

Read More →

If you enjoy reading our articles,
why not sign up for our newsletter?

We commit to just delivering high-quality material that is specially crafted for our audience.

Join Our Newsletter