- 62 businesses were registered with Brexit? in their name by 2017
- 16, 859 firms include the words ‘son? or ‘sons? in contrast, only 320 included Daughter?
- 8, 090 business contained the name John, but Rose? was the only female name to feature in the top 15
- 5, 313 companies include Yorkshire in their name the most popular region in the UK
- Over half of business names in the UK are between 17-27 characters in length, with the average company using 22 characters
Clich’sPerhaps predictably, the words limited? and ltd? appeared most frequently in Companies House records. The following will also sound familiar.
- ‘services? (228, 612 businesses)
- management? (135, 610 businesses)
- uK? (118, 314 businesses)
- company? (106, 253 businesses)
- the? (105, 151 businesses)
Borrowing brand equityWith the use of countries in business names still a popular option, entrepreneurs continue to leverage the images of existing terms that can build brand equity from the start and provoke an emotional response from consumers. According to the analysis, the terms ‘scotland? and ‘scottish? were three times more popular than Britain? or British, and four times more popular than England? or English. Head of brand at branding agency RBL, Rebecca Battman, explained why this pattern appeared. ?Ask anyone what ‘scottish? stands for, the answer is probably passion, history and pride. Ask the same question about England, and the answer doesnt roll quite so easily off the tongue. __________________________________________________________________________________
Legal threats from Zara lead to sole trader rebranding A countrywear shop owner in the north east market town of Barnard Castle was forced to rebrand her business after the threat of heavy legal action from global fashion retail company Zara. __________________________________________________________________________________
What’s changing?A decade ago, nobody had heard of Brexit or a drone. Clearly that’s all changed, and the evolution of language is reflected in our business names. By 2017, there were 62 instances of Brexit? in businesses registered at Companies House, including:
- Brexit Biscuit Company Limited
- Blame it on Brexit Ltd.
- Brexit Beverages Ltd.
- The Brexit Diner Limited
- Brexit The Opera Ltd.